Garden makeover, a whole family affair

picture of a garden pre makeoverOutside space is really important to me. It allows us all to get out, get some fresh air and for the kids to run around and burn off some energy. When the children are at preschool and school, I also feel it is my personal, peaceful, more tranquil space where I can breathe and try to unwind. Lately, I have been taking the laptop outside to blog, it’s been great.

We are very lucky to have this outside space, but it has got very tatty looking, the shed too small and the tree/bush too overgrown with lots of weeds. The decking is very slippery when wet and the children get lots of splinters from it. We decided it was about time we gave the garden a bit of a makeover.

Operation ‘garden makeover began’. Last weekend, we cut down the very overgrown tree/bush and weeds, it took all day and many blisters and scratches later, it was down. All we had to look at, at the end of the day, was a huge pile of sticks and leaves to get rid of. The children loved helping us take the sticks to the hippo bag. They had a great time.picture of children clearing up sticks

A new shed was delivered on Tuesday. So we literally demolished the old, battered metal shed and started increasing the size of the base, ready for the larger shed to go on. This felt really good, as I hated the look of the old shed. The kids loved playing in the earth we removed (just as if it was a sandpit), they even found a centipede!picture of children playing with soil and centipede

At the weekend, my parents came to help us build the new shed. It was a lot of work and the children loved helping (?!). It was definitely a whole family affair!

By the end of the weekend, we had a new shed, no tree/weeds/bush and all the rubbish had gone, it’s great!

Stage one of operation garden makeover is now complete :) I love it, especially, the fact that we all got involved.

The second stage begins on Thursday, but luckily, we have resorted to hiring someone else to complete this stage, of decking removal and patio laying. I am really looking forward to that bit!

This entry was posted in fun and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Garden makeover, a whole family affair

1. Jaime Oliver says:

how fantastic is that!! that is the best shed i have seen honey and i am a little envious!

I think being in the garden busy is one of the best activities possible (good weather helps) cant wait to see what the next stage looks like!

thanks for linking up with #ActiveFamily x

2. Jo Laybourn says:

Sounds exciting having a ‘new’ garden to look forward to that you have all ‘helped’ with! that shed looks huge :-)

• karen bell says:

Yes, the shed is fantastic, though I’m sure it won’t be long before we fill it!

3. Pinkoddy says:

Wow you did an amazing job – so when can you come to mine? Loving your shed.

4. That’s a proper shed – very big! Lovely how the whole family got involved, and had fun doing it. I’m just embarking on my own makeover, ‘Project Garden’, and I think it’ll take us a while, but be worth it in the end, like yours :-)

• karen bell says:

The shed’s great, but I’m sure we’ll soon fill it. Hope your garden goes well.

5. What a great little workforce and such a quick turnaround! The shed looks fab and I can’t wait to see the new patio, thanks for sharing your family garden makeover with Country Kids.

6. JallieDaddy says:

We’re like you: we love a good garden space. Our old one was huge & I still miss it! It’s great that you can get your children involved in helping out, & great that they enjoy it. Ours are now at an age where they are able to help us out now (a bit), rather than it all being a 1-way street & it’s much appreciated!

That looks like a great family project, & a lot of fun, not to mention healthy :)

• karen bell says:

We love our outside space too and am loving that the kids all want to help and get involved too. (not sure how long it will last though?!)

7. Candace says:

Working well together there. You can come and do mine if you like!

• karen bell says:

Thanks, would love to, but I am not very green fingered, which is why we are having someone else come and help with the next stage :)

8. Now that is one seriously awesome looking shed! Are you going to paint it or leave it natural? I look forward to seeing the progress!

9. Mammasaurus says:

How great that you all got involved – it really makes a difference doing things as a family. I know sometimes it can all be a bit more challenging with kids running about ‘helping’ but in the long run I really do think everyone gets so much from it.
    I can’t wait to see the next part now!

Thanks ever so much for joining in and sharing my dear x

10. Wow, what a lot of work! Looking good, can’t wait to see the results of part two :)

11. Shell Louise says:

How exciting. That shed is fantastic! Can’t wait to see your new patio :)

Please leave a comment