Let kids be kids!

picture of children jumping in muddy puddlesIn this modern world we live in, it can be very easy to get lost and wrapped up in everyday life, technology, day-to-day stresses and issues. We all run at such a fast pace of life these days, compared to when our parents were raising us. I believe it is so important to remember that children need to be children. They need to experience simple basic fun.

I have made a list of  40 things I believe every child should have done/experienced before they reach school age:

1. Feed the ducks
  2. Walk on a log
  3. Jump in muddy puddles (and get very mucky!)
  4. Forest walks – looking at nature
  5. Kick around in leaves (in autumn)
  6. Fly a kite
  22. Dancing
  23. Bubbles
  24. Cooking
  25. Rough and tumble
  26. Make tents and dens
  27. Have a pretend tea party
  28. Build stuff from cardboard boxes (preferably big enough to sit in)
  29. Do a roly poly
  30. Play ball
  31. Swing
  32. Do an easter egg hunt
  33. Read books together
  34. Play in the snow
  35. Build a snowman
  36. Plant seeds
  37. Dress up
  38. Do a scavenger hunt
  39. Visit a farm
  40. HAVE FUN!!

I know my kids have absolutely loved everything on this list, but I think their favourite, has got to be JUMPING in MUDDY PUDDLES!! Unfortunately for me, that is also the messiest, but never mind, seeing them have fun has got to be the best thing in the world!

What is your kids favourite thing to do?

Have your kids completed this list?
What would you add to this list?

If you like this post, why not subscribe by clicking on the subscribe button  in the side bar.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

This entry was posted in crafts, days out, fun, Let Kids Be Kids, parenting, things to do, toddlers and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Let kids be kids!

1. pinkoddy says:

Great list. Have you seen the 50 things to do list? There’s a linky over at TheBoyandMe.
    Thank you for linking at MotivationalMonday

2. TheBoyandMe says:

Oh thanks for the mention PinkOddy!

Yes to all of the above and definitely the last one. Play is the most important thing for children and I love all of your list.

3. Romanianmum (@romanianmum) says:

Love It! Maybe i should do a list like this and then start to cross it as it goes for my daughters. I think it will be fun c

4. Great List, thanks for joining in with our Parenting Pin-it Party.

5. anna says:

love the list, good to see all these kind of ideas written down clearly in one place to easily spot any the kids have not done yet! i should probably let them jump in muddy puddles more often.

came over from the parenting pin it linky :)

6. Great list and I can’t fault any of the things. So many are outdoor based I’d love you to share them on Country Kids with me. Just popping over from the pinterest party and pinning to my Country Kids board.

7. jbmumofone says:

What a great list! Thanks so much for sharing on the PIn it Party :)

8. So true – kids should be outside having fun x x

Pinned x x

9. Love this list :) Chester (age 4) has done all of these and Millie (age 1) s iwell on her way!

10. Great list! Think we can tick them all except for leaf rubbing!! Great to find you via #CountryKidsx

11. Think we’ve done all except for finding shells and jumping in waves as we’ve not had a seaside trip yet. Agree, jumping in muddy puddles is the favourite here too #CountryKids

12. Great list I was going to do one for my younger kids inspired by the 50 things list I’m finding photos to illustrate, mine is for outdoor play only but I agree with everything on your list.

13. Great list! Think we’ve done almost everything with the boys… Need to make sure the wee girl does them all too :) #CountryKids

14. thisdayilove says:

Great list the most important thing is to let kids be kids and let them have fun and make a mess!

15. we3three says: