Any time from around 1-year-old your twins will start to pull themselves up, then cruise along the furniture, before taking those magical, first few steps alone! From that day on they definitely become toddlers.
Life with twin toddlers can be very demanding. It is hard work chasing one baby around, let alone 2! It feels like you need eyes in the back of your head. This is when it really becomes crucial to have all the safety equipment in place. For more information on safety please visit twin safety.
Here are some of the milestones your twins are likely to achieve in their toddlerdom:
- 12 months – 1st birthday!! Yay!!, pointing, waving, showing affection, standing (some may even be walking) and feeding themselves finger food
- 13-14 months – recognise their name, begin feeding themselves with a spoon (very messy business), they may take their 1st steps
- 15-16 months – can say a few words like ‘mama’, ‘dada’, begin to build with bricks, they become aware of their twin.
- 17-18 months – temper tantrums may start, can say more words (6?).
- 18-24 months – can put 2 words together, kicks or throws a ball, likes scribbling and dancing, can name parts of their body, learns 10 words a day.
- 2-3 years - potty training, interacts with co-twin, jumps, walks up and down stairs, can talk well in sentences and sing songs and chant rhymes, asks ‘why’ (a lot!)
Please bear in mind, this is only a guide to the milestones your toddlers will achieve, all children learn at different rates, if you are worried please speak to your health visitor or GP.