My twins birth – a look back

Doesn’t time fly! Four years ago this week I looked like this:

My twin pregnancy bump at 36 weeks

Ok, so that picture was taken two weeks before that, but this is the closest I’ve got.

I felt huge! So many people commented “you’re as wide as you are tall”! Thanks for that, I didn’t realise I was that large (or short)?!

I was 38 weeks pregnant with twins, uncomfortable, nervous, very excited, terrified, emotional, apprehensive and worried. I am sure most people feel like this when they are pregnant, but with twins, probably more so. I was very much looking forward to meeting my two new babies, but was terrified of the unknown at the same time. What on earth was life going to be like with a toddler and two newborn babies?! How would I cope?

At 38 weeks and a few days I was admitted to hospital to be induced. My parents came to stay, to take care of Big Brother. The midwives broke my waters very easily at 9am and my labour started. I was very lucky not to need any pessaries etc.

I was strapped to what felt like every monitor going, as there needed to be one for each baby, but at least I knew I was being kept an eye on, which is reassuring. It took a while for my contractions to build, but when they did I reached for the gas and air. One thing I found fascinating, was that I felt like I was only contracting one side of my tummy, no idea why. I presume I was contracting for the 1 baby that the waters had broken (twin 2’s waters were still intact).

pregnant mother with twins in labour

By about 7pm I was 8cm dilated, so they took me into theatre, all twins need to be born in theatre as a precaution. Unfortunately, the air conditioning was broken, so it was 32 degrees and I was extremely HOT! I cannot stress how hot that is to someone giving birth!!

My contractions intensified, I was 10cm dilated, so it was time to start pushing. I pushed and pushed. I was pushing for what felt like an eternity, and with some Ventose help, at quarter to midnight my first beautiful baby girl was born weighing 6lb 1oz.

I was exhausted, yet overwhelmed with joy looking at this most amazing little bundle I had just given birth to. I breast-fed her almost straight away and loved it! I was more than happy to just lay there nursing my baby. I wasn’t in pain any more.

Twin 2 was breech. The doctors tried to turn her, but she was having none of it! So, this time I was on my own. My contractions were still very strong, yet I didn’t feel them. The doctors were amazed at the strength of them and kept saying “how can you not feel that?” I don’t know, it was a mystery (one which I am glad of). In the end, they told me I had to start pushing. After an hour and twenty minutes since giving birth to twin 1, twin 2 was finally born breech, weighing 6lb8oz, with my waters drowning the anaesthetist, which was quite amusing!

My beautiful girl was placed in my arms and I couldn’t have been happier! I was utterly exhausted, beyond belief, yet none of that mattered. I had my two gorgeous newborn baby girls with me. No words could describe what it’s like to hold 2 tiny babies in your arms. The love, the beauty, the warmth, the glow I felt was amazing. I was terrified of how I was going to cope, yet, at that moment, I didn’t care, it didn’t matter. I would manage and fumble my way through. With three wonderful gorgeous children, I could cope with anything now!

Newborn twin girls with mummy and daddy

Four years later and I look back at my twins birth with very fond memories. It was a wonderful experience I would happily go through again. I wouldn’t change a thing. I now have two amazing happy, bright, beautiful twin girls alongside my gorgeous little boy, what more could a mother want?

This entry was posted in Twins and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to My twins birth – a look back

1. Kim Carberry says:

Aww! I love reading birth stories….Sounds like yours went so well!!

2. salma says:

There’s nothing like a beautiful belly…a mama waiting & arms ready to catch not one but two miracles :)

3. Wow, lovely post, and such a wonderful birth. I love that your twins have different birthdays :) #ShareWithMe

4. notafrumpymum says:

Lovely birth story, and I agree with Sara, how great that they each have their own birthday!

5. Double the emotions, double the memories, double the love :)

6. Jenny says:

Awe I love twins, always wanted them myself. I also love birth stories. So sweet. Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me. I loved reading your lovely post and getting to know more about you and your blog!!! What lovely memories and how fast does time fly by, it’s always great to look back. #sharewithme

7. Katie Clark says:

Lovely birth story. It’s amazing how fast time goes isn’t it? My son was 4 last week yet it doesn’t seem 2 minutes since he was a baby.
    #ShareWithMe

8. Wow, I am in awe. How fantastic you made it to 38 weeks with twins, and well done for having them both naturally, including a breech. And what gorgeous little girls.

9. A wonderful birth story and brilliant that they have different birth stories!
    #PoCoLo

10. @katgrant30 says:

Fantastic to read such a positive birth story! Really impressed!
    #PoCoLo

11. Crikey! Bless you, that must’ve been so uncomfortable – I don’t know how your back coped let alone the rest of you. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

12. Jaime Oliver says:

awww Karen this gave me goosebumps reading! what a fantastic birth story and what amazing photos!!

thank you for sharing and linking up with #MagicMoments x

13. Ah, such a lovely story. That does sound like a hot room you were in! And brilliant you didn’t feel the contractions after twin 1 was born :) Beautiful photo x

14. Amy Squires says:

Gosh I only made it to 36 weeks with my twins and I felt broken. I don’t know how you coped going to 38 weeks.

You all look so happy in your pictures.

• karen bell says:

My mum had to stay with me the last 2 weeks as I couldn’t look after my nearly 2 yr old properly I was so big!

15. pinkoddy says:

What an amazing story. I’m surprised they let you give birth naturally, especially with one breech. I was born breech and need forceps.

• karen bell says:

As long as twin 1 is head first, then they will let twin 2 be breech as the pathway is already opened up for them, apparently!

16. Katie says:

I keep thinking about what it’d be like to have twins and the amazing bond they’d always share xx

17. krissottoh says:

Love hearing about twin births. I had to have my twins a month early – but even then they weighed around 6 lbs each.

18. Coombe Mill says:

Always one to look back on and remember fondly. Nine years on i still remember the triplets like yesterday.

Please leave a comment